Thursday, July 16, 2009

Promises, Promises - The Stockpile Post

Have y'all noticed that I keep promising to post about something, then I don't? That's because I'm roadtripping and vacationing and when I have to watch the tide come in, then watch it go out again, there just isn't a lot of time for hanging out on the internet.

So while I've been watching the birds fly over the marshes, it seems the price of blueberries has gone cheap in Phoenix at $1.00/pint at Fry's and .99/pint at Sprouts. Good. Get a whole lot of them and eat them in smoothies, cook them down with a little honey to put on pancakes, bake into muffins and breads (you can freeze those!!) make freezer jam, dump on cereal, eat straight from the container, and make blueberry pie (you can freeze those, too!). Don't forget to stir the syrupy topping into your homemade yogurt. When you run out of blueberries, buy more.

Cherries are also insanely cheap at 99c/lb at Sunflower and Sprouts. I'll be honest, I haven't the foggiest how to put up cherries, or cook them down or make pie or anything. That's because I'm lazy and I don't deal in pits. I'll bet if I googled, I'd find out there's a really easy way to deal with cherry pits and make all the good things I mention above. However, if all else fails, my best recommendation for cherries is to EAT THEM.

Are you a fish lover? Tilapia and Swai are both $2.99/lb at Albertson's. I have a confession - I have NO IDEA what Swai is, but if I were in town I'd go buy a pound and check it out. Flounder is a steal at Basha's for $3.74 a pound and what's not to like about Flounder? Also, WILD-caught Keta salmon is a mere $3.88/lb at Fry's.

In Phoenix, $3.88/lb for wild-caught salmon is a price worthy of knocking over little old ladies at the fish counter to get to it before it runs out. I just spent $4.99/lb for some at Shoprite here on the Jersey shore and felt like that lady in the Ikea commercial who can't believe how low the price is and tells her husband to keep the car running.

And DO NOT buy farm-raised salmon. That stuff tastes anemic and they dye the flesh to make it pink and lots of people react to the dye they use. I learned a lot about salmon while I was in Alaska, where farm-raising is illegal. Trust me, buy the wild-caught.

Milk continues unbelievably cheap at $1.39/gallon at Basha's. Did you know that you can make yogurt cheese? It's very easy. Dump your homemade yogurt into a clean linen or cotten dishtowel and hang it over a bowl. Let all the whey drip out. After a few hours you've got a really thick concoction which has SUCH a lovely taste, especially when combined with black olives and pimento. You can use it in place of cream cheese with lox for low-fat alternative. It's sour and tangy and may be an acquired taste, but give it a try.

By the way, if you wonder what I'm nattering about regarding homemade yogurt and whatnot, just check earlier posts where I prattle on about those subjects - the seagulls are arguing on the dock and I don't have time for a lot of hyperlinks right now.

What else would I buy this week?

CHICKEN. Whole ones are 67c/lb at Fry's. That's a stock up price. I'll check back at some point and see if I've already posted my litany about what you can do with a whole chicken. If I haven't, I'll post here. I PROMISE.

Also, MANGOS are only 33c each at Food City. Why are you still reading this? Go immediately and buy a bunch! Have you any idea how good Mangos and blueberries taste together? No? Well go find out!

While you're at Food City, pick up broccoli and cauliflower also. Both are 69c/pound and freeze well. Also good for quiche and with eggs so cheap at Fresh and Easy ($1.47/18 ct) and Sunflower (99c/dozen) you should make some. Quiche bases are very easy to make (just google for more recipes than you know what to do with) and make good use of leftovers.

And be absolutely certain you head to Basha's to pick up boneless round roast at $1.49/lb. Have the butcher grind it into ground beef for you. It's lean and makes very nice ground beef at a fraction of the typical pricing for lean ground beef. Also, you can ask the butcher to run the steaks through the cubing machine to help make it extra tender for marinades and slow-cooking.

Gotta go! A turtle just swam past and I have to watch it!

No comments:

Post a Comment