Sunday, July 12, 2009

I have a confession...

...I like warm salad. Pile a plate with chopped lettuce, tomato, mushroom, sprouts, radicchio, arugula, shredded carrot, olive and pimento and some feta cheese, top it with homemade dressing made of olive oil and balsamic vinegar, a little crushed garlic and that $1/bottle Italian seasoning I'm always talking about, pop it into the microwave for fifteen seconds and serve with some nice crusty bread to clean the plate after eating and I'm a happy woman.

Something about the heat that brings out all the flavor of the vegetables. It's a nuance unlike the typical cold salad. Give it a try. Get the vinegar at Albertson's for $3.29, the Olive Oil at Basha's for $3.99, the lettuce at Fry's or Albertson's for a buck a head, tomatoes at Albertson's, mushrooms at Sprouts.

I'm down the Jersey shore for this leg of my road trip and cackling over all the blueberries. Hammonton, NJ is the blueberry capital of the world, or so their sign says, and the blueberries here are fresh and plentiful and cheap, cheap, cheap.

Good, because we're eating a lot of them.

Strawberries aren't cheap, though. They aren't in season. I don't know if it's a matter of location, travel distance or what. Though nearby Philadelphia is a major port, this area does not enjoy the almost year round influx of cheap typically seasonal berries as Phoenix does. So enjoy, Phoenix! While I'm munching on .60/pint pick your own blueberries still warm from the field, you can still pick up strawberries for $1.00/pint at Fry's.

Cherries are $1.18/lb at Basha's. If you haven't bought any yet, stop reading this post and get them now.

What else is catching my eye? The $1.58/lb boneless, skinless chicken breasts at Safeway and the 97c/lb pork chops at Albertsons and the insanely cheap $1.39/gallon milk at Basha's.

(You're all making your own yogurt, correct? If not, read the previous post.)

Aside from being abysmally late, this stockpile post is abysmally disjointed. That's because I have to depend on the kindness of neighbors for my internet.

I'll be back with tales of the lovely wild-caught colassal shrimp I'm barbecuing tomorrow night. The seafood is soooo good here and generally reasonably price, often downright cheap. We even catch our own crab.

Gotta go. I need a snack.

No comments:

Post a Comment