Thursday, June 4, 2009

How to know when Mindy is dieting

Whenever her stockpile posts involve lots of 'no so good for you' food.

I just read my post from yesterday, something I forgot to do while writing it, and realized that after going on and on about healthy fruits and tomatoes and whole wheat pasta for so long, I told y'all to go out and buy cake mix and sausage.

Here's my caveat - it's good to treat yourself once in a while.

I know cake mix can be made from scratch and one of these days I'll find a good one to post, but I like mixes because there are lots of different flavors and most of the work is done. You add water, egg and oil/applesauce, stir, pour in pan and bake and you have a cake just as good as those $30 sheet cakes people keep buying at the grocery stores. Cakes are pretty scientific and measurements have to be correct or they don't always come out right, so I'm all about the mixes.

Now muffins are a different story. Muffins are forgiving and a basic muffin mix is easily adjusted to circumstance. Also, I find that the commercial muffin mixes I've tried, besides being stupidly expensive, even with coupons, are way too sweet.

I don't have time at the moment to go into the magnificence of homemade muffin mixes, but here's one to get you started (it starts about halfway down the page). As usual, I substituted half wheat flour to my basic recipe.

There are several mix recipes on that page. I've tried most of them and really like them.

No comments:

Post a Comment